Learning Opportunity for Current Midwife Student or Prospective Student
Community Roots Midwife Collective (CRMC) is a group of dedicated, trained midwives providing homebirth midwifery services to people in or near Boulder County. Central to our mission is to provide skilled midwifery care to anyone who desires it, regardless of their ability to pay. Our collective holds the values of integrity, human rights, reproductive justice and physiologic birth paramount. We have an average of 3-5 births per month, and 28.5 office hours/week (and growing!).
As individual midwives, our backgrounds and experience are varied, and we come together offering heart-centered, competent care. Together, we come from a line of elders and teachers that span from Montana, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Mexico, Guatemala, and Indonesia to the Philippines.
We recognize that our poor, immigrant, and communities of color are those that have the least access to our care. And, those are likely the communities that could greatly benefit from the comprehensive care of a midwife. Thus, we are committed to training midwives who represent these communities in hopes that more local folks are able to find a midwife with whom they feel comfortable.
We are currently looking for one or two students who can fulfill the following:
- 2 to 4 clinic days per week at our Longmont office (Tue - Thur) as well as prenatal and postpartum home visits.
- One weekly team meeting/chart review (Mondays 9 - 1:30).
- 10 to 31 days on-call per month. We are willing to be flexible depending on the student’s need.
- Weekly didactic lessons as needed.
- Monthly “Birth Circle” gathering for all clients (3rd Tuesday of every month, 9:30-10:30am).
- 3 to 4 monthly “Meet The Midwives” gatherings
- Seasonal educational events such as Pridefest, Farmers Market, and various community gatherings (times TBA).
- We are looking for an initial 3 to 6 month commitment, and upon review from both student and CRMC, a longer term apprenticeship.
- A watch with a second hand (with you at all times)
- A pen and notepad (with you at all times)
- Reliable transportation (available all the times)
- A working cell phone, and possibly a pager, so that 24hr communication is possible
- Access to an online/smart phone calendar (daily)
- Be enrolled and active in a midwifery program OR be actively seeking a scholarship to begin educational training (please see NARM’s requirements regarding MEAC accredited programs)
- Maintain current NRP certification
- Maintain current CPR certification (adults, children and infants)
- Birth or on call experience a PLUS but we are open to all levels of experience
- Bilingual Spanish/English (minimum oral fluency) a PLUS
Compensation to CRMC:
- $50/credit hour for didactic supervision
- $200/month for clinical supervision
- $50/hr of class time
*We are actively seeking funding for student midwife fees and encourage students to look for alternative funding sources.
Please note our future goals:
- To increase the depth of our sliding scale - hosting community clinics in which folks can access both midwifery care as well as reproductive health care and holistic therapies, such as acupuncture, massage and chiropractic care for a minimal fee.
- To deepen the scope of our community education by hosting informational presentations at community centers and health clinics, with a focus on reaching out to our immigrant and teen populations.
- To build a sustainable teaching model that is beneficial to both students and CRMC. We are willing to work with individual needs through communication and trust
If you resonate with the intentions and goals of Community Roots Midwife Collective and are interested in pursuing the midwifery path, please send your resume and a letter of intention to:
Community Roots Midwife Collective • 738 Coffman Street, Longmont, CO 80501 • (855) 664-3943
You may email your letter of intention and resume to: email@example.com.